Author and Fast Company Editor Joe Berkowitz stopped by the podcast this week. His latest, a humor book titled You Blew It!: An Awkward Look at the Many Ways in Which You’ve Already Ruined Your Life, lands this October. He took a break from his busy schedule to rap with me about how he survives the harried life of a big city journalist.
In addition to his work for Fast Company, Joe’s writing has been featured in The Awl, Salon, The Village Voice, Vulture, RollingStone.com, GQ.com, McSweeney’s Internet Tendency, and many others.
For a writer who works on breakneck deadlines, and almost never gets a break from the writing life, he has some pretty solid advice for keeping the cursor moving.
Join us for this two-part interview.
In Part One of the file Joe Berkowitz and I discuss:
- How a Bad Breakup Can Boost Your Productivity
- When to Throw Out the Rule “All Killer, No Filler”
- How to Build Your Writing Endurance
- Don Draper’s Advice for Beating Writer’s Block
- How Making Lists Can Help Your Head
- The Magical Power of 4 AM Dementia
Listen to The Writer Files below ...
The Show Notes
- Joe Berkowitz for Fast Company
- And Now for Something Completely Unnecessary … (Joe’s Tumblr)
- You Blew It!: An Awkward Look at the Many Ways in Which You’ve Already Ruined Your Life by Joe Berkowitz and Josh Gondelman
- “My Superpower Is Being Alone Forever” (links to all parts of the series at The Awl)
- Hemingwrite – A Distraction Free Smart Typewriter
- How Joe Berkowitz (Journalist and Fast Company Editor) Writes: Part Two
- Joe Berkowitz on Twitter
- Kelton Reid on Twitter
Coming soon …