Email is the conversion powerhouse for most content marketing programs — and it’s so often misunderstood.
Every month or so, this podcast will tackle a cornerstone topic for content marketers. Today, it’s email marketing.
Why is it so often misunderstood and underestimated? Partly because there’s so much incompetent and poorly executed email being sent.
In this 30-minute episode, Sonia talks about:
- Whether or not millennials actually read email
- The big problem with email marketing — and the time-tested solution to fix it
- Managing unsubscribes
- The two definitions of spam
- How to figure out if your open rate is any good
- Culling your email list of “unresponsive” subscribers
- How often to make a pitch to your email list
- Wisdom from Amber Rose on how to think about your list
The Show Notes
- To pick up the free email marketing ebook, get started on one of the tracks in the Education tab over on Copyblogger
- New Rainmaker podcast episode on Will Millennials Kill Email Marketing? with Brian Clark and Robert Bruce
- D Bnonn Tennant’s article on Why Email Marketers Should Ask Readers to Unsubscribe
- Search Engine Journal’s excellent detailed article on Goodbye Spam, Hello Inbox: 9 Ways to Fix Your Email Marketing Strategy
- NPR article on Why Political Fundraising Emails Work
- We write lots about email marketing on Copyblogger — in this article, Kelton Reid covered a bunch of points I didn’t have space for in the podcast 🙂 How to Master the Content Platform of Kings
- Henneke’s article for Copyblogger on 37 Tips for Writing Emails that Get Opened, Read, and Clicked
- The core of all good content marketing — combining Meaning and Fascination (Brian Clark)
- Sonia’s article on How Not to be a Dirty, Rotten Spammer
- Sonia’s podcast on How Not to Be a Dirty, Rotten Spammer
- Catch up with Sonia on Twitter @soniasimone