Creativity is a wonderful thing. You get to make something out of nothing, have a fascinating life, bring brand-new ideas and expressions into the world. But a creative soul can sometimes make one thing tough: marketing yourself and your work.
In this session, I talk about some ways that creative folks (especially writers) can get more comfortable marketing themselves and the work they do. We’ll talk about building your platform and what to do with it as it grows.
In this 21-minute episode, I talk about:
- The great question: Is marketing evil?
- Why “negative marketing” is so important
- Getting over being uptight about making money
- Why selling out doesn’t actually work
- What it means to say “You are the product”
- A simple content marketing process for creatives
Listen to Confessions of a Pink-Haired Marketer below ...
The Show Notes
- Jeff Goins’ excellent conference for writers Tribe Conference (September 2016)
- Jeff’s blog, with lots of resources and advice for writers looking to go pro great post about a price increase (of all things)
- Robert Cialdini’s book Influence: the Psychology of Persuasion — essential if you want to learn how to persuade
- Tim Grahl’s post on what to write about in your content marketing
- Pamela Wilson’s simple plan for Creating One Piece of Powerful Content per Week
David Villalva says
Yo Sonia. GREAT episode all around.
Straight up, this episode’s helped me face some internal issues I still have about money and my writing. I must laugh at myself because I started writing seriously thinking that I’d immediately find that volcano spewing molten money. Nearly eight years later and I’m at the opposite of the spectrum. I’m envisioning giving away my first novel that will come out soon (and I’m giving away everything I’ve learned about novel writing).
You’re challenging me to find the right balance. I need to be pushed. THANK YOU
And thanks for sharing your unique voice, and for being such a kind, patient person with weird fanboys like me!
Laura Christianson says
I’ve listened to this episode three times so far. Wonderful inspiration for a workshop I’ll be teaching on book marketing at a writers’ conference in a couple of weeks. Great links, too. Thanks for your hard work, Sonia.
Jeff Goins says
Loved having you at Tribe, Simone. You totally rocked Tribe. So appreciate this and what you added at the event. You’re the best!