Should you still worry about getting the .com extension? Does protecting your brand by buying non-.com extensions still matter? And how did an impulse domain purchase allow Brian Gardner to hang out with a former contestant on The Bachelor? All of that and more in this discussion between Brian and Sean Jackson.
Here is a quick rundown of what you’ll find in this episode:
- One incredible story from Brian Gardner’s secret background as a domain squatter (and fan of The Bachelor)
- Why Brian doesn’t go with anything but .com (outside of a few very rare exceptions) — and will even think of another name if he can’t get the .com
- Why extensions like .blog, .fm, and .tv can work if it’s the right fit for your content
- The importance of protecting your brand by buying the non-.com extensions
- What do you do if the domain you want is registered but isn’t being used (as actually happened with StudioPress.com!) … and why sometimes a cold email actually works best
- When you should be prepared to shell out money for the .com domain you really, really want
- The step-by-step process Brian goes through to determine the best available domain for website/brand ideas that he has
- What to do when the domain you want is available, but the corresponding social handles are not
- Should you augment your URL idea with hyphens, “the,” etc. — and what The Social Network taught us about this question
- What to do if you’re sitting on a bunch of domains that you’re never going to use
And then Brian closes with his Starbucks domain story … what, you thought this episode would end without Brian talking about Starbucks? 🙂
Listen to Site Success: Tips for Building Better WordPress Websites below ...
And if you like this episode, don’t miss episode 35 in which Jerod Morris gives you three questions to answer that will help you choose the right domain name for your site.