The #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Martian, Andy Weir, dropped by the show in 2015 to chat with me about his writing process in the days just prior to the release of the Oscar Nominated movie adaptation of his hit book, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon.
This is a replay of the entire interview I did with Andy in honor of the publication of his latest book — Artemis: A Novel — described as “… a near-future thriller — a heist story set on the moon.”
Blake Crouch, the New York Times bestselling author of Dark Matter, said of the book “Weir has done the impossible—he’s topped The Martian …,” and Ernest Cline, New York Times bestselling author of Ready Player One, called it “Everything you could hope for in a follow-up … another smart, fun, fast-paced adventure that you won’t be able to put down.”
The author’s inspiring journey to #1 on the NY Times Best Sellers list with his first novel began as a humble series of blog posts that grew enough interest to demand self-publishing to Amazon. When The Martian’s popularity sky-rocketed, traditional publisher Random House called, and the rest is history.
From software engineer to sci-fi phenom, Andy is a down-to-earth writer and self-described “space nerd,” who still answers all of his fan mail.
If you’re a fan of The Writer Files, please click subscribe to automatically see new interviews.
In this file Andy Weir and I discuss:
- How a science geek became a bestselling author
- One great trick for improving your dialogue
- Why your enthusiasm doesn’t determine the quality of your writing
- The creative power of a walk and a hot shower
- Mr. Weir’s unique relationship with NASA
- 3 tips and tricks to becoming an “actual” writer
Listen to The Writer Files below ...
The Show Notes
- If you’re ready to see for yourself why over 201,344 website owners trust StudioPress — the industry standard for premium WordPress themes and plugins — just go to StudioPress.com
- Copyblogger’s Certified Content Marketer training is a powerful program that helps writers attract better clients — and more of them. New students will be able to sign up for a limited time soon. Add your name to join the waitlist and to get all of the details when they’re available.
- Artemis: A Novel – Andy Weir
- The Martian: A Novel – Andy Weir
- How Bestselling Sci-fi Thriller Author Blake Crouch Writes: Part One
- Notes from Hugh Howey’s Editor
- “The surprising story of how Andy Weir’s self-published book ‘The Martian’ topped best seller lists and got a movie deal”
- Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach
- Andy Weir on Twitter
- Kelton Reid on Twitter