Writer, literary scholar, publishing consultant, and co-author of the internationally acclaimed book The Bestseller Code, Jodie Archer, returns one year later to chat with me about the book’s runaway success, turning the algorithm into an innovative consulting service for writers, her own writer’s journey, and one very unexpected turn for the host of this show.
Before getting her PhD from Stanford, Ms. Archer studied English at Cambridge, worked in journalism and TV, and was an acquisitions editor for Penguin UK publishing.
At Stanford Jodie taught writing and researched both contemporary fiction and bestsellers. Upon completion of her doctoral work she was recruited by Apple where she was the lead in research on books.
The Bestseller Code is based on Jodie’s doctoral research with professor Matthew Jockers (co-founder of the cutting edge Stanford Literary Lab), an algorithm they honed for four years and refined by text mining over 20,000 contemporary novels using around 300,000 data points.
The Guardian predicted that the book would “… revolutionize the publishing industry,” because the technology could predict bestsellers 80% of the time, based on theme, plot, character, and many other signatures.
The authors were, of course, hounded by writers from all over the world for help with their manuscripts. And finally — following their breakthrough research — Jodie and Matt have founded a unique book consulting service for authors, publishers, and agents, based on the algorithm in The Bestseller Code.
Beginning December 1st, 2017, ArcherJockers.com will offer three tiers of service to authors: single manuscript analysis, series analysis, and VIP service. [This interview was recorded in anticipation of that date in mid-October.]
If you’re a fan of The Writer Files, please click subscribe to automatically see new interviews.
In Part One of this file Jodie Archer and I discuss:
- How writers from around the world convinced the authors to do consulting services
- The innovation behind the anticipated Archer Jockers’ service for novelists
- How to find your bestselling moment with integrity
- The power of “good” press, great agents, and selling the international rights to your book
- Jodie’s own multi-genre writing projects
- How yours truly took a leap of faith and became a beta tester for the service (cliffhanger pending)
Listen to The Writer Files: Writing, Productivity, Creativity, and Neuroscience below ...
The Show Notes
- If you’re ready to see for yourself why over 201,344 website owners trust StudioPress — the industry standard for premium WordPress themes and plugins — just go to StudioPress.com
- Copyblogger’s Certified Content Marketer training is a powerful program that helps writers attract better clients — and more of them. New students will be able to sign up for a limited time soon. Add your name to join the waitlist and to get all of the details when they’re available.
- How to Crack the ‘Bestseller Code’ with Jodie Archer & Matt Jockers: Part Two
- How the Author of ‘The Bestseller Code’ Jodie Archer Writes: Part One
- The Bestseller Code: Anatomy of the Blockbuster Novel – Jodie Archer & Matt Jockers
- ArcherJockers.com Manuscript Consulting Services
- How ‘Sweetbitter’ Author Stephanie Danler Writes: Part One
- Jodie Archer on Good Reads
- Jodie Archer on Twitter
- Kelton Reid on Twitter
Leave a Reply