The multiple New York Times bestselling author of A Whole New Mind, Drive, and To Sell is Human, Daniel Pink, dropped by the show back in 2015 to chat with me about his experience as a TV producer, his take on writer’s block, and productivity & creativity hacks for non-fiction writers.
This is a replay of the interview I did with Dan in honor of the publication of his latest book — When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing — a book that aims to unlock “… the scientific secrets to good timing to help you flourish at work, at school, and at home.”
The behavior expert’s sixth book is being hailed by many as one of the must-read business and leadership books of 2018, and The Wall Street Journal wrote, “Daniel H. Pink’s deeply researched but never boring study could be a turning point.”
Mr. Pink has also written for The New York Times, Harvard Business Review, The Sunday Telegraph, Fast Company, and Wired, to name only a few.
In addition to having one of the most viewed TED talks of all time — “The puzzle of motivation” — Dan also hosted and co-executive produced the TV series “Crowd Control” for the National Geographic Channel.
If you’re a fan of The Writer Files, please click subscribe to automatically see new interviews.
In this file Daniel Pink and I discuss:
- Why you should never check email before you write
- The effectiveness of word count quotas
- Why the adage “butt-in-chair” really works
- How to structure your writing schedule to beat “Resistance”
- The author’s exhaustive reading recommendations
- His fantasy Chipotle table guests
- Why you need to get over yourself and just get to work
- And if you want to hear Dan talking more in depth about his newest book, check out the Unemployable podcast interview he did with Brian Clark titled “The Power of Perfect Timing,” (available after Jan. 10th, 2018 at unemployable.fm)
Listen to The Writer Files below ...
The Show Notes
- If you’re ready to see for yourself why over 201,344 website owners trust StudioPress — the industry standard for premium WordPress themes and plugins — just go to StudioPress.com
- When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing – Daniel H. Pink
- Dan Pink’s TED talk: “The puzzle of motivation”
- Crowd Control on National Geographic Channel
- Daniel Pink on Twitter
- Kelton Reid on Twitter