In the second half of this special edition of the show we’re shining the light on two more freelance writers out there who are making it happen as professional online content creators. These are scribes who have found success — and a very good living — doing what they love … writing and helping others achieve success.
In full disclosure, the two writers I’m highlighting in this show, Sharlyn Lauby and Trudi Roth, are both online content creators and strategists who run profitable freelance writing businesses.
The other thing they have in common, though they came to professional writing from very different paths, is that both writers graduated from Copyblogger’s Certified Content Marketer Training Course (a program that makes this show possible).
The program is usually closed, but it reopens periodically for a short time to invite new classes of students into the course. If you’re interested in learning more you can simply head over to the Certified Content Marketer training program and get your name on the list.
If you’re a fan of The Writer Files, please click subscribe to automatically see new interviews.
My first guest is HR pro turned consultant, speaker, and foodie, Sharlyn Lauby of HRbartender.com, who specializes in strategic human resources content with a focus on increased engagement and lead generation.
She is also the President of ITM Group, Inc. “… a training company focused on developing programs to retain and engage talent in the workplace,” and a Master Level Certified Content Marketer.
Her business creed is, “Great HR makes great organizations.”
In this segment Sharlyn Lauby and I discuss:
- Her unique path to blogging and content marketing
- Resources, tools, and teaching she found invaluable at the start of her journey
- The importance of feedback to mastery
- How a mindset shift makes all the difference for the growth of your business
- What it takes to find success and satisfaction in your chosen niche
My second guest is writer, editor, and content strategist, Trudi Roth of ItsTheTruStory.com, who runs the gamut of specialties from website copy, blog posts, video, and even social media strategy.
Trudi has been a hired gun for over twenty years doing client work on everything from website content, ecommerce, blogs, books, direct & email campaigns, and social media marketing.
CNN dubbed her a “popular mommy blogger” for her blog, “Bitch’in Suburbia.” She has a B.S. in Economics from University of Michigan, and a Master’s Degree in Mass Communications from Boston University. She is also a Certified Content Marketer.
Her business slogan is, “Superlative content, copy, and editing … You have my word.”
In this segment Trudi Roth and I discuss:
- Why so many people need help “wordsmithing” today
- How she went from a VP of Marketing to a “mommy blogger” featured on CNN
- Why now’s as good a time as any to hang out your digital shingle
- The writer’s high praise for Copyblogger’s Certified Content Marketer Training Course
- The double-edged sword of working from home
Listen to The Writer Files: Writing, Productivity, Creativity, and Neuroscience below ...
The Show Notes
- If you’re ready to see for yourself why over 201,344 website owners trust StudioPress — the industry standard for premium WordPress themes and plugins — just go to StudioPress.com
- Copyblogger’s Certified Content Marketer training is a powerful program that helps writers attract better clients — and more of them. New students will be able to sign up for a limited time soon. Add your name to join the waitlist and to get all of the details when they’re available.
- How to Make a Living as a Pro Content Writer: Part One
- ITM Group, Inc. – Sharlyn Lauby
- HRbartender.com – Sharlyn Lauby
- HR bartender on Twitter
- Freelance Writers Share the Surprising Keys to Their Successful Careers
- ItsTheTruStory.com – Trudi Roth
- It’s The TruStory – Trudi Roth on YouTube
- Profitable Writers Demonstrate How to Prosper from Your Words
- Kelton Reid on Twitter