Welcome to a special edition of The Writer Files, we’re back from an extended Summer hiatus.
My old friend, award-winning international journalist, author, pundit, and bad penny, Adam Skolnick, turned up this week to discuss with me a piece I wrote recently for Copyblogger titled, 5 Things Only Serious Writers Do.
But before Adam and I get into it I wanted to explain why I’ve been away from the microphone for so long.
It’s a heartbreaking story, and if you’re not into tragedies, feel free to fast-forward to the good stuff (or simply skip to Part Two). I apologize for the weight of it, but it seemed only right to share the story here for curious listeners.
A tremendous thank you is in order for those of you throughout the many communities who have reached out with your support, love, and thoughts for my family over the last few months. There are not enough words.
Adam Skolnick’s narrative nonfiction book, One Breath: Freediving, Death, and the Quest to Shatter Human Limits — based on his award-winning New York Times sports reporting — is now available in paperback.
In addition to his recent journalism, Adam has visited 45 countries and contributed to over 30 Lonely Planet guidebooks. He has written for ESPN.com, Men’s Health, Outside, BBC, Playboy Magazine, and The NY Times, and has appeared on NPR.
If you’re a fan of The Writer Files, please click subscribe to automatically see new interviews.
In Part One of this file Adam and I discuss:
- Why the show has been on hiatus for so long
- How human beings crowd source grief and loss in times of tragedy, and the limits of empathy
- Adam’s recent globetrotting journalism, including his piece on the Thai soccer team rescue
- And what it’s like to be a hired ghost writer
Listen to The Writer Files: Writing, Productivity, Creativity, and Neuroscience below ...
The Show Notes
- Sign up here if you’d like details about our Copyblogger’s “small but mighty” checklist to help you publish great content every time
- More Writer Files in the Archives at Copyblogger
- 5 Things Only Serious Writers Do– Kelton Reid for Copyblogger
- How Divers Found the Thai Soccer Team
- Shooting For Truth – Adam Skolnick visits director Chris Weitz on the set of his new film, Operation Finale– Longreads
- Adam Skolnick on Instagram
- Adam Skolnick on Twitter
- Kelton Reid on Twitter