“You’re so vain … you probably think your About page is about you …”
A recent Google update has a lot of sites looking to improve their About pages. (We’ll talk more about that update in a future episode.)
About pages are pretty simple — but that doesn’t mean people don’t sometimes screw them up. In this episode, I’ll talk about 7 common mistakes I see on About pages, and how to spruce them up again.
In this 16-minute episode, I talk about:
- Why a recent Google update has a lot of folks scrambling to improve their About pages
- When to get creative with your About page (and when not to)
- The elements that really, truly have to be there
- Why a good About page can improve your links and shares
- How to focus your About page on your audience, not yourself
Listen to Copyblogger FM: Content Marketing, Copywriting, Freelance Writing, and Social Media Marketing below ...
The Show Notes
We have a lot of links for you this time, since every one of these steps is something that Copyblogger has published in-depth content about, often more than once.
- Sign up here if you’d like details about our new “small but mighty” checklist to help you publish great content every time
- If you like text, or just want something to refer back to, here’s a text version of this post: Are You Making these 7 Mistakes with Your About Page?
- My post on The Right Way to Think about Google (the TL;DR — don’t chase the algorithm at the expense of your audience)
- Feel free to say hi or ask a question over on LinkedIn @soniasimone — or I always enjoy hearing from you right here in the comments 🙂
Rezaul - says
The link “Are You Making these 7 Mistakes with Your About Page?” is giving a “Page Not Found” error.
Sonia Simone says
We republished it this week, so you may have caught it in the few hours it was in draft before we updated the date — it’s working now.