“You’re so vain … you probably think your About page is about you …”
A recent Google update has a lot of sites looking to improve their About pages. (We’ll talk more about that update in a future episode.)
About pages are pretty simple — but that doesn’t mean people don’t sometimes screw them up. In this episode, I’ll talk about 7 common mistakes I see on About pages, and how to spruce them up again.
In this 16-minute episode, I talk about:
- Why a recent Google update has a lot of folks scrambling to improve their About pages
- When to get creative with your About page (and when not to)
- The elements that really, truly have to be there
- Why a good About page can improve your links and shares
- How to focus your About page on your audience, not yourself
The Show Notes
We have a lot of links for you this time, since every one of these steps is something that Copyblogger has published in-depth content about, often more than once.
- Sign up here if you’d like details about our new “small but mighty” checklist to help you publish great content every time
- If you like text, or just want something to refer back to, here’s a text version of this post: Are You Making these 7 Mistakes with Your About Page?
- My post on The Right Way to Think about Google (the TL;DR — don’t chase the algorithm at the expense of your audience)
- Feel free to say hi or ask a question over on LinkedIn @soniasimone — or I always enjoy hearing from you right here in the comments 🙂