Success certainly doesn’t have to make you crazy, unhappy, or selfish. But sometimes it does play out that way.
I don’t know much about being a millionaire, but I’ll bet I’d be darling at it. ~Dorothy Parker
There are plenty of advantages to material success. But it’s smart to keep your focus on the practices and mindset that will make that success enjoyable.
Today, I’m talking with my friend JB, who founded and runs MorningCoach.com. I called him up because I’ve been impressed by how he balances success and fun without losing himself.
Content warning: This episode briefly discusses a suicide/murder.
In this 26-minute episode, JB and I talk about:
- When normal business ups and downs turn into tragedy
- Transactional vs. relationship-focused businesses
- Whether online business owners are more likely to lose touch with reality
- JB’s tip for “surrendering to your assignment” to keep you grounded
- JB’s suggestions for maintaining a healthy mindset about success, pleasures, and money
The Show Notes
- MorningCoach.com, JB’s home base
- The Right Way to Think about Google — my post on staying sane in the face of Google’s whims and changes
- The Most Dangerous Threat to Your Content Marketing Strategy — why it’s so risky to over-rely on Google (or any other company you can’t influence or control)
- Minimalism, Success, and How to Be a Big Shot, my podcast from last week on staying grounded when you’re working with status and material stuff