We are here to find meaning. We are here to help other people do the same. Everything else is secondary.
We humans want to believe in our own species. And we want people, companies, and products in our lives that make it easier for us to believe in one another.
~Hugh MacLeod, from “The Hughtrain Manifesto.”
I first read those words around 2006, and I immediately recognized an idea that would end up changing my life.
It turns out Brian Clark recognized the same thing (a bit earlier than I did), along with thousands of others who became fans of Hugh’s ground-breaking site gapingvoid.com.
I got the chance to catch up with Hugh and ask him about his views on meaningful business, on becoming successful, and on authentic leadership and authority.
In this episode Hugh MacLeod and I discuss:
- Why our heroes’ real lives are boring — and why that’s actually very cool.
- Where real authority comes from.
- The elements of enduring success, and how not to be a one-hit wonder.
- The success “secret” that anyone can use.
- Why a “paint by numbers” business can never give you what you want.
Hit the flash player below to listen now:
Other listening options:
- Click here to download the mp3 | 47.2 MB | 32:46
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here for the RSS feed (non iTunes)
- Click here for the show archive
Want to know more about how ethical authority builds businesses that are both profitable and meaningful? Come join us for Authority Rules. It’s a free series of three webinars and additional articles, and it kicks off with a special report by Brian Clark on The 10 Rock Solid Elements of Successful Online Marketing.
Links from the Show:
- The Hughtrain Manifesto
- Don’t miss Hugh’s most recent book, Evil Plans.
- Sign up for a daily cartoon from Hugh
- Tribal Management by Seth Godin. Seth’s writing about tribes has been a big influence on both Hugh and me.
About the Author: Sonia Simone is co-founder and CMO of Copyblogger Media. Share your own quest for meaning with Sonia on twitter.