Can we change who we are? Are we stuck with the aptitudes and habits we have today, or can we make fundamental changes? And if change is possible … are we up to the challenge?
It’s funny when you think about it — virtually everyone wants to change. They want to be smarter or richer or better-looking or a combination of all of those. There’s not much market for “you’re great as you are, just enjoy that.”
I’m looking for change as much as anyone. In fact, I’m fascinated by it. This week I found two solid resources for helping us to (respectfully, gently) make the changes we want to make.
In this 17-minute episode, I talk about:
- An annoying blog post and what it showed me about my own values
- How “broadening your passions” can boost your creativity
- A course on learning and mental flexiblity offered by a professor of engineering … who flunked out of high school physics
- Why traditional productivity advice is so often useless for micropreneurs and side hustlers
- A successful cartoonist who will help you shape better creative work habits
The Show Notes
- If you’re ready to see for yourself why more than 201,344 website owners trust StudioPress — the industry standard for premium WordPress themes and plugins — swing by StudioPress.com for all the details.
- My podcast episode on 5 Mindset Habits that Actually Work
- Barbara Oakley’s MOOC (massive open online course) on Mindshift: How to Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential (free, or you can pay a moderate fee if you want a certificate of completion)
- Jessica Abel’s very good site on creative productivity
- Jessica Abel’s very good book on the same topic: Growing Gills: How to Find Creative Focus When You’re Drowning in Your Daily Life
- I’m always happy to see your questions or thoughts on Twitter @soniasimone — or right here in the comments!