Most of us won’t make a living making “pure art” that only serves our creative expression. But you won’t make a reasonable living writing cynical garbage, either.
Hope your new year is going well! Brian Clark and I have had some great conversations about what we want to write and teach in the new year, and it boils down to two words: killer and poet.
In this 16-minute episode, I talk about:
- Why it’s a silly (and expensive) mistake to try to promote a business with cheap, crummy content
- Why we think 2018 will be the year of the Word Nerd
- The key element to content strategy today (and yesterday, and probably tomorrow)
- How (and why) to get over your fear of the “A-word”
- Why a technology-first approach can actually kill your content strategy
Listen to Copyblogger FM: Content Marketing, Copywriting, Freelance Writing, and Social Media Marketing below ...
3 Skills to Master to Become a Marketing Badass this YearSonia Simone
The Show Notes
- If you’re ready to see for yourself why more than 201,344 website owners trust StudioPress — the industry standard for premium WordPress themes and plugins — swing by StudioPress.com for all the details.
- Brian Clark and I also wrote about this topic on the Copyblogger blog: Three Killer Skills Professional Writers Need to Succeed in 2018
- Advice for Poets, Advice for Killers — Copyblogger FM episode no. 75
- Jason Miller’s interesting article on “hybrid” marketers
- Another Copyblogger post, this one on How to Think Like an Artist to improve your content (and your marketing)
- Brian Clark on discovering your “who” — the core of smart content strategy
- Feel free to say hi or ask a question over on LinkedIn @soniasimone — or I always enjoy hearing from you right here in the comments 🙂
Freddy G. Cabrera says
I really enjoyed this episode!
I’m currently working on my writing and copy-writing skills. It is an art, indeed.
I agree with you, there is so much generic content on the internet. It is cluttered with this type of low-quality content. Cookie cutter content.
I like your tips here. Adding a little bit of imagination and poetry to your content, along with your own personality, should help you stand out from the crowd.
People love to learn new things as much as they also love to be entertained. You can easily play with your reader’s mind through written words.
Writing high-quality content for the world wide web is truly another form of art!
Thank you for such helpful episode Sonia!
Best regards! 😀