Do you want people to know you and hear you? Or do you want people to trust you and listen to you? It’s the choice between building authority and celebrity, and it’s this week’s topic on The Showrunner.
First off, we have an important announcement: The Showrunner Podcasting Course is open again! But it’s not open to the public yet. Starting on Wednesday, February 3, 2016 the course is open only to our subscribers.
How do you become a subscriber? Simple: go to showrunnercourse.com.
Once you register, you’ll be emailed the link to the sales page so you can check it out and see if the course is right for you.
And whether it is at this time or not, we want you to walk away right now with something extremely useful that will help you with your show.
That’s why we created The Beginner’s Guide to Launching a Remarkable Podcast — a simple, no-frills, 9-step plan to get your podcast off the ground.
Here’s the cover, featuring another beautiful design from Rafal Tomal:
When you sign up for the email list, in that initial email that gives you a link to the sales page, you will also receive a link to download this guide for free. One click, and it will be yours.
What are you waiting for? Go join the list right now. 🙂
Now onto this week’s main topic.
Be an authority, not a celebrity
Jerod had the idea for this topic, spurred by a conversation he had at a recent conference where he spoke.
During this week’s episode, Jerod and Jonny discuss …
- Why the difference between authority and celebrity is much more than semantics
- How Brian Clark and Gary Vaynerchuk exemplify the profound difference between authority and celebrity
- How to know if you are too focused on celebrity and need a mindset shift — simply by the metrics you’re looking at
- Why it’s better to be useful than good
- And how your focus on authority, rather than celebrity, is good not just for your audience, but for your own state of mind too
Oh — and why authority is like broccoli and celebrity is like Pixy Stix, and why that ridiculous analogy matters.
It’s a fun discussion that we hope you’ll enjoy and find useful.
Listen to The Showrunner below ...
Here are this week’s podcast recommendations:
Also, here are this week’s podcast recommendations:
- Jerod: Why Brian Clark Doesn’t Care About Personal Branding — Traphagen’s Takeout Order
- Jonny: The Art of Planning Before Podcasting